On 2026-09-20 17:22, John Ralls wrote:
I’m pretty sure Mike Alexander didn’t plan on including the cash account in the 
Advanced Portfolio Report so it’s not too surprising that it doesn’t work well.

I agree.  There is no urgency to this for me as I can get the numbers I want from a Balance Sheet report.

Here is what I get, report currency is GBP:

===

Account    Symbol    Listing    Shares    Price        Basis Value    Money In    Money Out    Realised Gain    Unrealised Gain    Total Gain    Rate of Gain    Income    Total Return Rate of Return vg SIPP cash    GBP    CURRENCY    2,291.9500    £21.2725 £48,755.51    £48,755.51    £8,726,452.17    £9,114,993.54 £2.98    £988,396.08    £988,399.06    11.33%    £420,600.51 £1,408,999.57    16.15% Total                        £48,755.51    £48,755.51 £410,222.22    £428,487.18    £0.14    £988,396.08    £988,396.22   240.94%    £19,772.03    £1,008,168.25    245.76%
===

The very obvious thing wrong is the Price which is for another security and should be 1 as my book currency is GBP.  The number of Shares is the correct balance of the account.

I tried adding a cash account on one of my test books; the book currency is USD and it 
has two currency prices: USD->JPY and GBP->USD. With the report currency set to 
USD it got the JPY one, presumably because it looked for the latest USD price in the 
pricedb; when I switched the report currency to GBP it got the GBP->USD price, and 
when I switched to CAD (there’s no CAD prices for anything in the pricedb) it set the 
price at $1.00 for everything. That’s helpful for examining the rest of the Cash account 
line though it obviously renders the stock lines rather useless.

Here’s that line:
Cash    USD     CURRENCY        198,907.29      C$1.00  **      C$198,967.15    
C$198,907.29    C$199,215.99    C$1,061,924.67  -C$291.99       -C$59.86        
-C$351.85       -0.18%  C$1,053,348.86  C$351.83        C$1,052,997.01  528.57%

The ending balance on the account is 198,907.29. So far so good. I ran a cash 
flow report over the full life of the account and it gives $1,278,022.82 in and 
$1,278,022.82 out; the difference matches the balance, confirming that it got 
all the splits.

FWIW the account does pay the typically tiny interest yield of such accounts in 
the US. The total interest is $76.49, so the real return is far short of the 
APR’s claimed 528%!

I’d have to go through the report logic for each column to figure out how the 
APR came up with each of the reported amounts, something I don’t have time to 
do right now. I can say that none of them match any of the lines on the Cash 
Flow report.
I certainly don't think it should be a priority fix, thank you for looking at this so quickly.
Regardless of that, aside from the paltry interest and the opening balance all 
of the income and expense on the account is due to purchase and sale of 
securities and receipts of dividends, attributable to the other securities in 
the portfolio. Of course many of those securities have been sold and so they’re 
not represented in the report.
One could add logic to the report to exclude those. In this particular book no 
cash is added or withdrawn from the portfolio (the book is for a trust account 
that makes no distributions), but that’s a bit of a special case. A more normal 
situation would have some of both and I don’t know off hand how to deal with 
those meaningfully in a portfolio report.

My use case wasn't so much to see the performance of the cash account but to include it logically with other short-term securities which would work if it was a MMF for example.

Thanks again, Wm


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Reply via email to