I have the same Nvidia driver, 580.178.04, causing GnuCash to crash when I try to run a report. WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1 initially worked but stopped working today.

This is the Gdk-Message I get in the terminal when I try to run a report.
$ WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1 flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash
Gdk-Message: 22:21:21.242: Error 71 (Protocol error) dispatching to Wayland display.

I used this search string "gnucash report crash error 71 wayland display" in DuckDuckGo and found this.
https://docs.defguard.net/support-1/troubleshooting-guides/desktop-client/client-crashes-immediately-on-launch-with-error-71-protocol-error-dispatching-to-wayland-display

I tested their workaround:
WEBKIT_DISABLE_DMABUF_RENDERER=1

I launched GnuCash in the terminal with this:
WEBKIT_DISABLE_DMABUF_RENDERER=1 flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash

Now I'm able to run reports again.

I can add a comment to Bug 799816 if this would be helpful.

Regards,
Bruce


On 9/15/26 9:34 PM, John Ralls wrote:
A user has reported in https://bugs.gnucash.org/show_bug.cgi?id=799816 that a 
new Nvidia driver, NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  580.178.04 of 7 July 2026, 
crashes whenever they try to run a report. The old 
WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1 trick saves the day.

Since it’s a brand-new driver I think we’ll see more reports.

Regards,
John Ralls

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Reply via email to