Some of the issues being raised suggest that a spreadsheet is not the
right analytic tool. How about a data frame in R? There are easy
transformations from spreadsheet to data-frame and back (and they should
be better set up but are not to my knowledge!). R allows character
strings to be converted to factors which can be very useful in some
analyses e.g., regressions. There are quite a few character handling
functions, and some support for regexes, though I will not claim any
expertise in using the latter.

My own opinion, as a supporter of gnumeric, is that we sometimes try too
hard to do everything in the spreadsheet.

JN