On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 23:33:30 -0600
"Andreas J. Guelzow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Are you useing the configurable text exporter or the defaults csv? If
> you use the latter give the former a try and choose the desired
> encoding.

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the reply. Apparently, the strange characters in the original
xls file were because the person who sent it to me, somehow imported data
from a DOS file, and the characters were of the OEM_437 or OEM_850 sets.
Those characters were somehow accepted, and appeared in the XLS as
completely unrelated UTF-16.

I'm suspecting he/she imported CSV info into Excel, and the charset was
not converted from DOS to Windows.

Thanks - I'll have to invent some way to convert the XLS to the correct
character set - suggestions accepted!

John