It appears that the issue relates to the use of functools.partial.
For example, this works,

    from libsheetmusic.spreadsheet import scale
    def diatonic_scale(scientific_note):
        return scale('diatonic',scientific_note)
    sheetmusic_functions = { 'diatonic_scale': diatonic_scale }

and this doesn't.

    import functools
    from libsheetmusic.spreadsheet import scale
    sheetmusic_functions = { 'diatonic_scale': functools.partial(scale,
'diatonic') }

Tom