If you need to start the axis at another point, you can edit the Y axis
preferences.

Basically we consider starting at 0 desired behaviour except for values
with units such that 0 is not special.  That would be for dates (which
are in terms on days since 1900-01-01), years, and temperatures in C or F.
We detect dates, but not years and temperatures, and do the right thing.

The code you're looking for is in goffice/graph/gog-axis.c function
map_linear_auto_bound.  If zero isn't too far away from the minimum
we snap to zero.

Morten