Op 21-11-2023 om 08:34 schreef Schanzenbach, Martin:
We are happy to announce that our *The GNU Name System* (GNS)
specification is now published as RFC 9498 [0].

in order to transparently enable this functionality for migration purposes, a
local GNS-aware SOCKS5 proxy [RFC1928] can be configured to resolve domain names

Are you sure this is transparent? Consider the case where a website has a log-in system, and instead of being based on passwords, it is based on TLS client certificates (for example, https://ci.guix.gnu.org/ has such a system to decide who is allowed to adjust ‘specifications’ and ‘restart builds’).

Given that the SOCKS5 proxy is technically a MITM attack, and the client certificates instead of only server certificates, I would expect (and hope) that the SOCKS5 proxy can't convince the server that it is the client.

It's a somewhat niche use case, so mostly transparent, sure.
But transparent, without qualifiers, I don't think so.

Best regards,
Maxime Devos