I think our use of glade is historical.
It just made sense to somebody (not me, my guess is Christian).

I personally have no issue with moving away from glade as RAD tool as I find it very cumbersome myself. Note, however, that it will also mean writing a lot of code that is currently hidden behind those glade XML files.

OTOH moving to a WIP RAD tool is also not such a smart idea, maybe. But that depends on the maturity of cambalanche, which I cannot judge myself right now as I have never tried it.

BR