On Tuesday 03 May 2005 4:06 am, Matthew East wrote:
First, when searching for keys on keyservers (i've tried the one
supplied by default with gpg as well as pgp.mit.edu) using the "gpg
--search-keys" command, it just sits there for ages without doing
anything.

What command are you using? Search by keyid where possible or at least by something that's likely to be uncommon, like the email address. Don't underestimate how many keys are out there.

Yeah that's definitely not the problem, i have tried keyids and exact email addresses.

I have the agent enabled via evolution as well and that is also just sitting there without finding the key. Can anyone help?

Can you connect to the keyserver at all? This could be a network problem or a firewall problem.

Try --recv-key with your keyid.

Doesn't work: just sits there. I also think it must be network related. AFAIK my firewall doesn't restrict any outgoing packets, could it be my ISP? Is there any way I can test? the crazy thing is that in the past sometimes it has worked. But I have no idea what has caused it to stop working.

The other thing is that, given that I am a beginner, I have self-signed
my key a few times and then deleted the signature, when I was
discovering how everything worked. Now I've discovered that my key
appears like this (despite the fact that it seems fine if I check it
locally):

Keyservers don't delete signatures so every time you self-sign, it remains on the keyserver. Deleting the signature once a key has been sent to a keyserver is pointless because refreshing the key will always import all the old signatures.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Don't send test keys to keyservers!

Revoke this key and start again with a new one. If you want to do more local testing, use a second key that you never send to a keyserver.

Keyservers exist for the benefit of others, not for your test purposes. The keys are there to help other people verify and sign your key.

I understand this: at the same time I did not intend the key to be a test, I was just a beginner.

Matt