On Nov 30, 2006, at 6:23 AM, Michael Erskine wrote:

My limited understanding was that symetric keys were just a pair
of fancy numbers! :)

Sorry, I meant asymmetric keys of course :)

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

The keys themselves are similar at a basic level. But the packaging and data file formats are not interoperable. An SSH key file is not much more than the key, but an OpenPGP key also contains elements of identity such as email addresses, etc. as well as signatures from other users.

With some work, you could probably extract the RSA key data from the PGP key and convert it to the format used for OpenSSH, but honestly it isn't work the trouble.

There is also some effort to make OpenPGP and X.509 certificates somewhat interoperable since they have more in common in both content and purpose.

Someday there might be a grand unification of all things PKI, but I'm not holding my breath.