On Jun 1, 2007, at 11:31 AM, David Shaw wrote:

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 11:01:02AM -0700, Joseph Oreste Bruni wrote:
When creating a new subkey, I'm given the option of setting an expiration.
The prompt allows me to specify a duration for the new subkey.

Please specify how long the key should be valid.
         0 = key does not expire
      <n>  = key expires in n days
      <n>w = key expires in n weeks
      <n>m = key expires in n months
      <n>y = key expires in n years
Key is valid for? (0)

Is it possible to set an explicit date (e.g. 31 Dec) rather than a
duration? I suppose I could compute the number of days, but that's
annoying.

Yes, it is possible.  At the prompt, enter the date in YYYY-MM-DD
format.

I have another question about key expirations. Suppose I have a key that was originally created without an expiration, and I distribute that key. Later, I add an expiration date to the original key. Does the new expiration have any effect if someone has my key without the expiration? In other words, is the expiration date considered a discretionary control or a mandatory control?