John W. Moore III wrote:
More likely a fatal traffic accident or victim of a street mugging with
similar outcome.  People communicate in and from Jails.

I hate to rain on people's parades, but that sort of James Bond stuff tends to draw a lot more attention. Assassination is an extremely ineffective form of censorship. Historically speaking, effective governments have relied on discredit more than death for controlling their secrets--if someone gets a reputation in the field for being crazy, for being unstable, for being whatever, then nobody will listen to them anyway, so who cares if they're blabbing secrets?

That said, I agree with the claim that it's very unlikely that someone with the clearance to know about the NSA's latest crypto research would talk about it with others who weren't cleared. Far, far more likely that someone was trying to impress others with a "if only you knew what I knew" fish story.