nunzky wrote:
Also, this would probably have to involve me keeping my private key on the
usb stick, protected only by a passphrase. How secure is this? Are there any
better ways to do it?

As a rule of thumb, never do any sensitive computer operations on a computer you don't completely trust.

If you think the computers in your campus's IT kiosks are safe and pristine, then this idea is probably reasonably good. If you think the computers in the kiosks are exposed to a host of unsafe web browsing habits, malware and stupid users 24/7, you may want to rethink this plan.