Hello GnuPG users,

Is there a convenient way to access the data objects of the OpenPGP smartcard? The best thing I know is to use "gpg --card-edit" to get at the PIN-protected DOs, which is cumbersome and does not give a very machine-friendly output...

What I am thinking of is the following:
The card with its PIN counters represents a protection against brute force attempts, that is not available to other software-only crypto applications like EncFS, Truecrypt etc. Consequently, the card PIN can be shorter than the overlong passphrases needed to secure those applications. Now, it would be really nice to store a long passphrase into one of the PIN-protected data objects and have the possibility to pipe that to one of those applications. This way, e.g., a Truecrypt volume would be protected by a very long passphrase, while the owner has the convenience of "unlocking" that passphrase using his/her shorter smartcard PIN.

Can this be accomplished using some scripting? Or may I suggest to add "--card-do1" through "--card-do4" as new commands to GnuPG which would print the respective string to standard output after asking for the PIN when applicable?

Thanks for listening :-)
 Sven