Hey Werner,

Thanks for the response!

refreshing the keys fails.

$ gpg2 --refresh-keys
an mpi of size 0 is not allowed
gpg: keyring_get_keyblock: read error: Invalid packet

Incidently this problem was reported to me yesterday and figured out
that the http key helper tool did not worked at all. Teh windows socket layer was not initialized and at another point we did a dup for a socket
which is not going to work.

uh! ....but then using hkp should work for the update, right?

 I don't know why this bug lurked around for
so long.  It might be that gpg2 accidently used the gpg1 key helper
tools (which works) or that we only tested direct hkp server and finger
support.

But actually I don't think this is download related.

$ gpg2 --list-keys
/Users/tcurdt/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
--------------------------------
pub   1024D/7C200941 2004-04-24
uid                  Torsten Curdt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
uid                  Torsten Curdt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
sub   1024g/87C5307C 2004-04-24

list some more keys - but not all

an mpi of size 0 is not allowed
gpg: keyring_get_keyblock: read error: Invalid packet
gpg: keydb_get_keyblock failed: Invalid keyring

Seems like also other people run into it

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-bugs/2007-09/msg05835.html
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gnupg/devel/43532?page=last

Fankly speaking - it awfully reminds me on a problem I run into with 1.x before ...that was fixed in later releases of 1.x

http://marc.info/?l=gnupg-devel&m=114694741924376&w=2
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2006-May.txt

And even importing a file that (at least) looks perfectly OK gives me

$ gpg2 --import msg.asc
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0

This is GnuPG 2.0.8 on OSX 10.5.2 installed via MacPorts

Well, this is anotehr problem.  I bet the msg.asc is not okay or there
is a problem with the MacPorts version of gpg2.

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

hQEOAz5rX/KHxTB8EAP/QqFwC0/p/6l7mRLvojOA+WjBq74URkaX6W6L4YPrpDvq
L42waXpfAhMmjLe3zw35+7ViLd/nICP8JB8Qjtbdt3iMIST62IMHbA1L9PxO7BHS
jRs+MwbEzddPnh3Gn/sDdiz3kmq810BcXKpFNuGCIyBqTu8zwxjVhs2nvI1tbBoD
/1wjSpCoJkeG76ZD5sbewiRE2H0Ft2P/S7GqTF6BtWmg1bpCHIN4O0uzkfex0jvk
ftWzVVsGPI8qjtfruCzRiRjjNF/a1ErnVWFR/V6fe7bTUNAgouuUJzKWDLdKc56E
IpcZ1wUPl/zKFVdIwhNP9RUf3gfZKBzySs/xWRs=
=yoCf
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

...looks quite OK to me :-/

cheers