On Aug 12, 2008, at 5:16 AM, Lorenz, Michael wrote:

Hello GNU-PG users,

I have a question regarding the export of a private key.

I want to transfer the key-pair of a GPG installation to a Java program (using for example the GNU-Crypto library). Since there is a very large amount of encrypted records I want to avoid to create a big convert-process that decrypts with GPG and encrypts again with Java.

As GNU-Crypto supports "ElGamal" I thought it would be possible to export the private key as bytes and use this information in Java to decrypt the data. But I have difficulties doing this.

You could probably work through this and get it to work, but it's not going to be easy. For one, OpenPGP uses a somewhat strange cipher mode (a variant on CFB). You'd also have to deal with the OpenPGP encoding on the packets.

Rather than do all that, take a look at http://www.bouncycastle.org/ They have a Java library that can do OpenPGP directly.

David