On Jan 26, 2009, at 9:02 AM, Peter Thomas wrote:

Hi folks.

I'm currently reading RFC4880 and I think I have many minor questions... is the gnupg-users list the right place to ask? Or is there any better place?

Look for the ietf-openpgp mailing list at
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/openpgp-charter.html

Anyway,... I think I start right now and ask my first question,.. (think it's easier to handle if I ask only one or two questions per mail-thread).

Hopefully you can help me and hopefully I'm not to annoying ;-)

1) In chapter 3.7.2.1 on page 13 it says that the octet can have values "255 or 254". Is there any difference between the two?

Yes, see section 5.5.3 for the exact details, but in general 254 indicates that there is a SHA-1 hash of the secret data included. This is to prevent a secret key tampering attack.

2) I've digged a little bit into the bit layout of gpg created keys (with hd and pgpdump), and it seems that gpg creates packets with old packed format (bit 6 in the packet header cleard) whenever possible. What's the reason for this? I mean the RFC recommends to use the new packet format. Can I change that default behaviour? And if I have a key, that's already used and signed by others, could I convert it to using the new format?

You could convert it, but there is little point. The function of a packet is the same no matter what. It's purely a question of the *contents* of the packet. GPG uses the old format when possible for backwards compatibility reasons.

David