I believe that the output you are complaining about may be normal.  If you were using the MIME option which is available within Linux, you could generate a different output.  I'm not sure that the MIME option is available in the iPhone however which is why I'm looking at the Android as it is a Linux variant.  If you've an iPhone look for that option, also go to the Gnupg website and download the manual as there may be other tools available of interest -- if Apple didn't strip out essential tools and libraries which they do from time to time from OS X.

I came across an article discussing the iPhone's vulnerability here: http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Vulnerability-in-iPhone-data-encryption-1008185.html

Unfortunately, Apple is just beginning to move into security issues seriously which RIM (Blackberry) were always known for.  Linux has several great security systems as a user is aware to implement -- which given how some Apple users are, I'm not sure that they are going to being interested in writing scripts to manipulate iptables or other tools, even if it is to their advantage.

Unfortunately there is yet no happy means to be thoroughly secure with Apple although their technology sure is pretty.  However, pretty doesn't cut it in the serious business or health/sciences environment where patient and client data must be kept pristine and protected.

All the best... Derick

Addendum:
As I mentioned the Android, Blackberry and Apple together, I believed it was only fair to share a different view and warning regarding security which was posted here: http://blog.ironkey.com/?p=1143