On 2/28/11 7:09 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 02/28/2011 06:38 PM, David Shaw wrote:
>> I think the problem here is the large size of the deployed infrastructure
>> that expects user IDs to have email addresses in them combined with the
>> relatively few people who are asking for this feature.  To make this change,
>> you'd have to have a keyserver that could search in that manner, plus client
>> support to make the hashes when talking to the keyserver, etc.  You'd have
>> to handle the very-small-but-non-zero chance of a hash collision in the user
>> ID, too.
>
> the folks in the monkeysphere project have put some thought and work
> into trying specify how this sort of thing should be approached.
>
> however, i'm not convinced that hashed user IDs saves much against even
> a moderately dedicated attacker, for the same reason that dan bernstein
> rightly points out the failure of NSEC3 to avoid zone enumeration:
>
>  http://dnscurve.org/nsec3walker.html
>
>       --dkg

I was actually just thinking about monkeysphere with regards to this
topic.  You guys basically came up with a loose pretty-obvious standard
for key names and wrote the tools from there.  Ultimately, the
keyservers don't care or need to know what a UID is at all.

I think something similar could be done with hashed emails.  Just some
(non)standard like:

hashed_uid://$SHA1_OF_EMAIL/$RIPEMD_OF_EMAIL

But using something better than my obviously naive hash-collision
prevention algorithm.

If that could be agreed on, you could probably get a few mailing list
regulars to add that ID in addition to their normal UIDs.  From there
start with a shell script that writes out a correct 'gpg --search-keys'
request.  Then on to more advanced things, like adding hashed_uid search
to the default sks-keyserver pages, enigmail integration, etc.

Really the only problem is that MFPA is stuck doing all the work until
(if ever) the (non)standard starts to take off.  And it's a lot of work.

--
Grant

"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."