On 03/21/2011 04:18 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 03/21/2011 04:05 PM, David Shaw wrote:
>> While the common usage for regular users is to sign based on checking
>> identity, signatures can be just as well used as a token to indicate
>> membership.   For example, the PGP product has the concept of a "Corporate
>> Signing Key", which is used to sign employee keys to indicate they are
>> genuine (and their keyserver can actually enforce this).  They are not
>> signing to say that Alice is Alice, they are signing to say that Alice is
>> Alice, and works for Company X (i.e. they would not sign Alice's personal
>> key).
>>
>> If I was going to do this with a group, like above, I'd probably make a
>> special Group Signing Key to issue the membership signatures to avoid
>> confusing my personal signatures with the group membership ones, though.
>
> If i was going to try to indicate more than a simple identity binding
> with an OpenPGP signature, i'd define an OpenPGP notation [0] and
> include the relevant subpacket in my signature.
>
> This way, the same signing key is capable of making identity
> certifications *and* identity+metadata certifications.

But that doesn't provide any easy way for me to only trust your
identity+metadata certifications, if, for example, I trust you to sign
in your role for a company, but don't trust or care about your
personally-issued sigs.  Instead of signing your key, I need to manually
inspect any and all keys that may have your signature.

--
-Grant

"Look around! Can you construct some sort of rudimentary lathe?"