I tried to check that out, and I have never needed more than about
three hops.

Sure, but then again you're trying to hit people with *extremely* large networks, and whose first-order networks are themselves *extremely* well-connected. Even the exotic ones like Ronald Coase -- he co-authored a ton of papers and attended a lot of conferences and advised a lot of Ph.D. candidates and taught a lot of courses.

If you can map out a line to my great-uncle Ormo Rasmussen in three hops without using me as a link, I'll be impressed. ;)