On 01/19/2014 08:56 AM, Mr. Clif wrote:
So I'm trying to get a sense from the users here if they feel that the
process of using gpg for symmetric encryption is safe enough, and they
are not worried about leaving clear text behind.

I think you're misunderstanding a few things. First, the problem of the plain text file is not exclusive to symmetric encryption. In fact there is no difference between that, and the plain text file that's left behind after public key encryption.

Second, you haven't defined your threat model. You have given us a vague sense of wanting to have a "secure" system, but you haven't said what you're trying to secure it against. Thus it's hard to respond intelligently to your query.

That said, I would suggest that you consider using a RAM disk to do your work on. It can be created to do the work, then deleted after you're done, with no risk of leaving a file behind on disk. Of course you'd want to make sure your RAM disk was not swap-backed.

hope this helps,

Doug