Hi,

On 01/02/2018 01:43 PM, Maarten Nieber via Gnupg-users wrote:
My hypothesis is that somehow, by creating a few extra keys today, my previous
openpgp key is not visible anymore. Can somebody explain why that might be the
case, and help me to repair this?

My first guess would be that pass was using gpg2, while you started using gpg which on your system is probably gpg 1.4.

The location of both the public and private keys has changed in the history of GnuPG (basically: public keys were stored in pubring.gpg in GnuPG <= 2.0, and in pubring.kbx from GnuPG 2.1, while private keys were stored in secring.gpg in GnuPG 1.x, and in private-keys-v1.d from GnuPG 2.0+). If gpg is gpg 1.x on your system, this could explain why you don't see your pass private key when you call gpg --list-keys.

Can you check precisely which version(s) of GnuPG are available on your system?

  $ gpg --version
  $ gpg2 --version

As for pass complaining about the "unusable public key", that could be the result of the trustdb having been updated by gpg 1.4 (which did not know that the private key for 89F615FB was available, and therefore has marked the corresponding public key as untrusted instead of having ultimate trust).

If that's the case, the best option would probably be to stop using the old gpg 1.4 and use only gpg2.

Damien