On 2020-01-06 18:26, Christoph Groth wrote:
Robert J. Hansen justifies [4] his use of a smartcard as follows:

Why don't I want to store the private key on multiple computers?
Because a good rule of thumb in a forensics lab is "store the minimum
personal data possible on your systems".

But then he also mentions his 128-bit passphrase and that he would be OK
to publish his (passphrase-protected) private key in a newspaper.  Why
then not store it on the disks of multiple computers?

Hint: because the phrase "forensics lab" is extremely important in what I wrote.

I used to (don't any more) work in a forensics lab doing R&D into recovering data from memory, SSD, and spinning-platter media. While I was doing this my colleagues were reverse-engineering malware. Our network was airgapped from the rest of the network, but we were still paranoid about data getting out -- including information about our identities. When you're doing reverse engineering on a botnet belonging to an organized crime syndicate, you really don't want the organized crime syndicate to discover your name.

I was also using OpenPGP to help move data into and out of our airgapped network. When a CD came into our lab containing data to be loaded onto machines, we used OpenPGP to verify its provenance. When we burned a CD containing data to be removed from the lab, we'd put a signature on it so the system administrators in the lab outside could be certain that a specific human being was taking responsibility for the contents of that CD.

Problem: I didn't want there to be any certificate stored on the lab machines... because any user ID that identified me would be personal information of the kind I didn't want to be stored.

Solution: use a smartcard. A smartcard allowed me to make these signatures while leaving minimal forensic traces.

But, outside of that laboratory environment, I didn't -- still don't -- need to use a smartcard. Usually I just keep the key on the hard drive of whatever machine I'm using.