Hi!

Let me also add that the private key protection mechanism of OpenPGP
does not work like we would do it these days.  Thus my suggestion has
always been: If you need to convey a private key over a public channel
do not rely on the passphrase protection [1] but wrap the backuped key
in a proper OpenPGP encryption message (public key or symmetric with a
good and different passphrase) for transport.  For backup purposes the
passphrase protection system is okay.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

[1] Even if the passphrase is strong enough to be published in the NYT.