Sounds like a defect to me, do you have a problem report ticket with
Thunderbird or a forum entry which described the problem in more detail
(like which version is affected).

It turns out the actual behavior is a little different than I originally described. If you have a valid certificate with a given email address, and a revoked certificate (or certificates) with that same email address, it will silently add the revoked certificates, as well as the valid one, to your email. This is still a bad idea.

On the other hand, Thunderbird now says it's a deliberate choice on their part, so...