To avoid a bad exit status from the fail you can tell apt-get to
--download-only when doing the dist-upgrade:

apt-get update
apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade
apt-clone dist-upgrade

NB: when you do this download it only downloads for the global zone. The
non-global zones do their own download AFAIK.

-Tim