Hi,

This has come up a few times, so we should have a clear written policy
on how the version numbering changes from upstream into our
repository.

Lets take the following examples:
gtk-sharp2_2.12.0-2ubuntu3
zlib1g-1.2.3.3.dfsg-7ubuntu1
xyz-1.2.3.build2

The common practice is using apt-upstream-tool, which changes these as:
gtk-sharp2_2.12.0-2nexenta4
zlib1g-1.2.3.3.dfsg-7nexenta2
xyz-1.2.3.build2nexenta1

In some cases nexentaN is appended, in others [word]N is replaced with
nexentaN+1.

Autobuilder packages seem to keep the same version number.

We need a set of rules to fix these varied methods to something
consistent and logical. In certain cases, there are hardcoded version
rules in debian/control, ex: xyz (> 1.2.3ubuntu2) , which can fail
after version change to nexenta3.

A good plan seems to be to simply keep the upstream name, and add
nexenta1 , and increment for each of our revision. This keep things
like package versioning right (?).

Comments/suggestions on other ways to proceed?

Anil