Thanks, Jason.

Yes, both of these issues are known, and we're working on fixing them.

Nexenta-on is deprecated.. the source package is now nexenta-on-source.

So as an end user you only have to

apt-get install nexenta-on-source
cd /usr/src/nexenta-on-source; apt-satisfydepends    <- this will pull
in things like Sun Studio 12, etc
dpkg-buildpackage

(Note.. it is 'apt-get install' and not 'apt-get source')

This package is in flux and the package had a small patching issue,
which is being fixed. You can try the above on an upgraded box,
there's a complete build of ON is done, and a local apt repository of
the new ON packages created (from which you should be able to
apt-clone dist-upgrade)

Once the kinks in the above process are ironed out, it will be
documented, and should provide a simple entry point for community
contributions.

The nexenta-gate and nexenta-gate-experimental (the stable and the
under development gates of ON) are hosted at
http://www.nexentastor.org/ and the mercurial frontend to repositories
is at http://hg.nexentastor.org/ . There are separate repositories for
ON patches and the debian/ folder

--