From: Fred Kiefer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: GNUstep Developer <gnustep-dev@gnu.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 3, 2008 3:46:30 AM
Subject: New icns loading code

I just committed a change to gui that adds some basic icns loading even
when libicns is not present on a system. Even with that code in place
libicns will be the better solution in many case.
Why not just use libicns?
- It is published with the GPL 2 licence, which may not be suitable for
some projects using GNUstep.
- It is currently not shipped with my Linux distribution.
My implementation has been done without looking at the libicns code,
just by following there documentation and Gregs usage of their
functions. I also added some ideas found in Nikolaus Schallers myStep
implementation of icns loading.

The code I added has many limitations, which are probably not even worth
fixing, as we should be using libicns for the more complex cases. There
are also a few bugs (something that looks like an of by one case for 128
bit images), these surely need fixing.

I also changes Gregs loading code a bit, as it was leaking memory and
could not load any icns file that didn't have a 48x48 representation.
Somebody needs to check that this still works with libicns.

Fred