This is my fault and it's a bug I need to address.

The issue was that the .desktop file was being generated prior to my change
completely wrong and was absolutely useless in the first place as it was being
generated assuming that the .desktop file would live in the .app directory and
would use relative paths.  Unfortunately, this is not how GNOME works.   It
appears, oddly, that GNOME requires absolute paths to everything, the icon, the
executable, etc...

I need to derive the path in another way which points to the correct location
and submit that fix.   It may indeed be possible that it will never be entirely
possible to generate this file automatically and have it actually work (and
NO... it wasn't working as it was before). ;)

GC

On Mar 10, 2011, at 3:45 PM, Philippe Roussel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I build an application from sources, its desktop file uses a wrong
> path for the application's icon. For example, with the attached
> GNUstep.conf (everything is installed in /opt/GNUstep-trunk/) I get the
> following in the desktop file :
>
> Icon=/usr/local/Local/Applications/SimpleAgenda.app/Resources/Calendar.tiff
>
> The Exec line is good :
>
> Exec=/opt/GNUstep-trunk/System/Tools/openapp SimpleAgenda
>
> My environment looks like that :
>
> philou@woody:~/sources/SimpleAgenda$ env | grep GNUSTEP
> GNUSTEP_IS_FLATTENED=yes
> GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT=/usr/local/Local
> GNUSTEP_HOST=i686-pc-linux-gnu
> GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=/opt/GNUstep-trunk/System/Library/Makefiles
> GNUSTEP_NETWORK_ROOT=/usr/local/Network
> GNUSTEP_FLATTENED=yes
> GNUSTEP_HOST_OS=linux-gnu
> GNUSTEP_HOST_VENDOR=pc
> GNUSTEP_HOST_CPU=ix86
> GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT=/home/philou/GNUstep
> GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT=/usr/local/System
> GNUSTEP_PATHLIST=/usr/local/System:/usr/local/Network:/usr/local/Local:/home/philou/GNUstep
>
> pl2link.m still uses deprecated (I think) GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT and friends
> and they point to a wrong location. I don't think I misconfigured
> gnustep-make but that's possible.
>
> The desktop file should also be chmoded ugo+x to be useful.
>
> Philippe
> Gnustep-dev mailing list
> Gnustep-dev@gnu.org

Gregory Casamento - GNUstep Lead/Principal Consultant, OLC, Inc.
(240)274-9630 (Cell)