Yeah, sorry, forgot to add all that stuff.  This is on OpenSUSE 12.1,
32-bit.  The steps I took were:

./configure
make debug=yes
make check

I thought the failure was strange, too.  I guess I should mention that I
did not do a 'make install' and the installed version of base is from a few
months back.  If this could be a problem, I can uninstall base and rerun
the tests when I get home.

Stef