This is a good candidate for actually fixing the apps, right?

Why not NSImageNameTrashEmpty / NSImageNameTrashFull?

http://api.monobjc.net/html/F_Monobjc_AppKit_NSImage_NSImageNameTrashEmpty.htm

http://api.monobjc.net/html/F_Monobjc_AppKit_NSImage_NSImageNameTrashFull.htm
Or see the "toolbar named images" section here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20151118172738/https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/NSImage_Class/#//apple_ref/doc/constant_group/Toolbar_Named_Images

These are 'available in OS X 10.6 and later'.