> On 24 Apr 2017, at 08:42, David Chisnall <thera...@sucs.org> wrote:
>
> -fobjc-nonfragile-abi has been a deprecated flag for 2-3 years.  Please can
> someone who understands GNUstep Make fix the build system to use
> -fobjc-runtime= instead?

The build system already uses -fobjc-runtime= ... but also still has options
that look like they were/are intended to turn nonfragile ABI on/off.

Setting variables in make is fairly straightforward, but I think only you (and
clang geeks) understand how these flags are actually supposed to work.

How are you supposed to turn use of the non-fragile ABI on/off  what flags do
you need to supply at compile time and what (if any) are supplied at link time
for
a. building with the non-fragile ABI and
b. building without non-fragile ABI

To what extent are other features dependent on it?  eg. can you have ARC
without nonfragile ABI?

Incidentally, we really need a patch to make nonfragile abi work with gdb (ie
so that looking at object instance variable works with the nonfragile ABI), so
that we can make nonfagile ABI the default.