To chime in...

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 9:48 PM, Daniel Ferreira (theiostream) <
bnm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Over the last days I've moved on with compiling WebKit based on
> GNUstep, and some recent issues over how to move some headers around
> for OSX compatibility. I'll mention many loosely related issues since
> they overlap at some point.
>
> The first issue is that of framework amalgamation. Apple has
> frameworks like ApplicationServices.framework[1] or
> CoreServices.framework that don't do much by themselves. However, have
> "sub-frameworks" both in their headers. For instance,
> ApplicationServices.h includes CoreGraphics, CoreText, ImageIO,
> HIServices and many others. Supposing GS implemented all of these
> frameworks, how should we handle the installation of this "global
> header" that imports all of these frameworks given the current module
> model?

My view is a new 'project' (repository) per framework would be good enough.
It would certainly be clear what you need to clone in order to get
'ApplicationServices/ApplicationServices.h' if the repository was called
'libs-applicationservices'. Using git submodules, we can also ensure
dependencies are installed at the same time.

But, if we know that this is a pattern, then maybe a single project
containing these compatibility and amalgamation headers would be a better
option?

Feedback would be appreciated here.

> The second matter comes to CarbonCore's Unicode and text conversion
> facilities (e.g. TEC* functions[2]). They have not yet been deprecated
> by Apple and are used by WebKit, and would thus need to be implemented
> in GS. Ivan suggested there might be a case for expanding
> https://github.com/gnustep/libs-ucsdata's purpose into including these
> functions. Do you agree with this or should it become part of another
> framework or be a new one?

No suggestion here aside from what I mentioned earlier. :)

Feedback would be appreciated here.

> The third matter comes to Opal's CGImageSource/CGImageDestination
> APIs. In Opal, it is part of OpalGraphics (thus under CoreGraphics'
> headers). However, in OSX, these interfaces are part of a separate
> framework called ImageIO. That said, I think it does not make sense to
> keep them inside OpalGraphics, but aside from that I don't know how
> you see the issue. Is it the case of moving them to another module; to
> another "subproject" inside Opal (e.g. OpalImage or something); or not
> move it from OpalGraphics at all and just change where we are
> installing the headers?

This one, I'd keep it in the Opal repo.

"""Originally part of the Core Graphics framework, Image I/O resides in its
own framework to allow developers to use it independently of Core
Graphics."""

OpalImage sounds like a nice name.

(Which reminds me... I should really rename 'quartzcore' project into
'opalanimation' or something like that.)