> > Hello,
> >
> > ls.exe from mingw binutils-2.19.1-mingw32-bin.tar.gz
> works
> > for "ls.exe */*" from cmd.exe
> >
> > not sure if ls.exe from gnuwin32 can get it work out?
> >
> First, this is established MS-Windows behavior of
> command-line utilities.
> For example, dir *\* does not work either (although it does
> have the /s
> option for searching recursively). If you need or want unix
> or posix
> behavior on MS-Windows, use Cygwin.

Cygwin doesn't take the path C:/my/directory. it requires to install lots of
stuff.

what I want is to be able to run grep abc */* from ms-dos shell.
grep.exe or ls.exe etc from  mingw and djgpp (though it is not very stable for
the binary from mingw if running from msdos shell.)  It is nice to know that it
works for those binaries without cygwin.

>Secondly, changing this
> would require
> adding new code for command-line expansion, which is now
> done by the
> msvrt-library. So, on the whole, I think it is best to
> leave this as it is
> now.

so you think grep.exe from mingw used msvrt-library to compile?

Kees, Thanks for your help

Peter