Making progress! I found a link in the console that explained attaching
roles to pipelines which works, but I'd like to be able to say that I want
a user to have permissions on a pipeline group through a role, but I only
want them to run pipelines with TEST in the name and not and PROD
pipelines. In the role I've tried adding deny to administer * *  but the
role permission on the pipeline group doesn't get modified.

Is this just a fringe case we've put ourselves into and its not possible to
manage things in this way? We've been using pipeline groups to contain all
pipelines using a particular template type so PROD and TEST both are in the
same pipeline group. If this isn't possible we can probably just split our
groups out into 2x with a prod and dev/test group separately.

I'm just confused on what I can and can't do with roles since its not a
centrally managed feature but the roles can be reused for membership.

Thanks!