Hi everyone,

We are working on upgrading from GoCD 19.8.0 to the current version. One of
the major changes we need to account for is the default permissions on
pipeline groups.

In 19.8.0, pipelines are open by default, i.e., if there are no permissions
explicitly defined for a pipeline group, all users can view and operate the
pipelines it contains. In current versions, pipelines are secure by
default; if there are no permissions explicitly defined for a pipeline
group then only system administrators can view/operate them.

Our current model is this:

   - All pipelines are stored in a single config repo.
   - Pipeline groups are used to represent an individual application.
   - A pipeline group generally consists of a build pipeline and several
   deployment pipelines.
   - Production pipelines are separated into their own pipeline group
   because they already have some requirements around restricting their
   operability.

This presents a couple of challenges:

   1. When moving from open-by-default to secure-by-default we will need to
   explicitly specify the permissions for ~230 pipeline groups, all of which
   have essentially the same permissions requirements.
   2. Post upgrade, we cannot restrict system administration privileges
   because anyone who has access to create a new pipeline group via the config
   repo will need sysadmin access to set the pipeline group permissions after
   the pipelines are imported.

Does GoCD have any mechanism for grouping pipeline groups for the purpose
of standardizing permissions across them? Alternately, is there a way that
we can define permissions in the config repo instead of having to put them
into cruise-config.xml post-import?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Jason