Gosh. Sad to hear of Professor Nisha da Cunha's passing. I spent a year as 
her student in Bombay and can vouch for the accuracy of Saumya Balsari's 
brief appraisal of her work and personality. I say student but it was more 
floating through college (my excuse: I worked afternoons in a stationery 
shop, thanks to a Sindhi owner) than studying the prescribed texts in 
depth.  Given my rather too occasional appearances in class, particularly 
her's, I didn't think my existence had even registered in her mind. (I now 
suspect two pieces in the college and library magazines may have helped 
otherwise). As may be expected, I was told by the office that I couldn't 
answer the final exam in April-May because of inadequate attendance. This 
completely threw me off attending any more lectures. Much later (too late 
to matter) I learned that when she heard of the reason for my continued 
absence in class, she said, why didn't he tell me (she was head of the 
English department) about it? The department would have certainly 
intervened! I was touched. More power to you, ma'am!

On Friday, 14 August 2026 at 06:40:52 UTC+5:30 William Robert Da Silva 
wrote:

> Greatly admire her.
> WRdaSilva
>
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2026 at 4:39 AM V M <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Tribute by Saumya Balsari (who attended GALF2024) - 
>> https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.scroll.in/article/1094995/nisha-da-cunha-1934-2026-an-inspirational-teacher-and-writer-of-things-usually-left-said
>>
>> 2025 Interview by Jane Borges is attached.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> -- 
>> *** Please be polite and on-topic in your posts. ***
>> --- 
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>> "The Goa Book Club" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>> email to [email protected].
>> To view this discussion, visit 
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/goa-book-club/CAN1wPW6O7zk198-2930Tf7_hN-iiwk659b8-BCgz0hYbhKVp-w%40mail.gmail.com
>>  
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/goa-book-club/CAN1wPW6O7zk198-2930Tf7_hN-iiwk659b8-BCgz0hYbhKVp-w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>
>

-- 
*** Please be polite and on-topic in your posts. ***
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The 
Goa Book Club" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion, visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/goa-book-club/f1ca195a-d858-4150-9940-1c76e0d9285cn%40googlegroups.com.

Reply via email to