John Nazareth, Dr. Hans Kung came to McGill U Faculty of Education in Montreal
3-4 times. He loved Montreal.
I studied in some detail issues re. ‘the infallibility of the Pope’ on
doctrinal matters, & whether & how in practice this applied to the College of
Cardinals, etc..
He was reprimanded by the Church (Vatican) & he was denied his ‘licence’ to
teach Catholic Theology at a prestigious German university.
All kinds of issues emerged re. independence of a university, etc., & the
Vatican's authority in the matter, & in the teaching of Catholic Theology.
At about the same time, the Catholic Bishop’s of India (Mumbai) asserted that
‘culture’ & ‘faith issues’ were separate, & it was planning to move closer
to’Indian culture’ with a Hindu-related belief-system  & world-view.
Cardinal Ivan Dias was senior Cardinal & advisor to the Pope at the time, &
Bishop of Mumbai as well. Pre-Partition, that was a huge territory, including
Karachi, & that connection remained.
I met Cardinal Ivan Dias 3-4 times, inc when he visited Montreal (he had
relatives in Toronto), & I met him in Rome.
A scholar in Theology, with a real doctorate (not ‘Honorary’) in Theology. His
successor in Mumbai, Cardinal Pimenta, was not a Latin scholar, but worked
himself up the Church hierarchy. Very down-to-earth. Both had their offices
close to the Mahim Catholic Church, on the other side, next to the Diocese
offices.
Dr. Hans Kung wrote a lengthy defence of his position. I ordered 2 copies from
Rome & read it, gave one copy to the McGill U Library Reference section. Truly
a scholar! 🙏🏽✝️
He was excommunicated, & his university changed his status to Prof of World
Religions, & Comparative Religions, as the Vatican vetoed his right to teach
his regular Catholic Theology courses.
The Bishops of Mumbai also put out a lengthy statement, at about the same time,
& they agreed with the Vatican position, limiting drastically their division of
faith & culture. Pope John 23rd passed away, & Pope John Paul 11 then steered
the Church to very ‘conservative’  interpretations of Theology & belief.
Dr. Hans Kung was an unusual theologian. He was in great physical shape,
exercised in the gym, etc., & understood deeply the distinctions & history.
Re. SFX, I passed by the coffin 3 times since age 10, each time the claim was
it was the last time, & now it seems every 10 years. When I was 10, the queue
was miles, & we stood outside for 6-7 hours, my mum, etc.. I forget where &
when I went to make ‘susu’ 😩😁! bladder relief ! Saiba Bugos ! 🙏🏽 Kitay Salunga
Tuka ?
- Ivan D. Ivan D. Pereira Dum Spiro Spera - when I breathe, I hope (when I pee,
I am relieved of much anxiety.

On Sunday, January 28, 2024, 11:43, John Nazareth <jhr_nazar...@hotmail.com>