The use of the term ?libre? was mine, not RCUK?s, Peter. If you want to
decide whether their definition counts as libre, this is what the document
says:

?The Research Councils define Open Access to mean unrestricted, on-line
access to peer reviewed and published scholarly research papers.
Specifically a user must be able to do the following free of any
publisher-imposed access charge:
- Read published papers in an electronic format.
- Search for and re-use the content of published papers both manually and
using automated tools (such as those for text and data mining) provided that
any such reuse is subject to proper attribution.

What would be different?
The existing policy will be clarified by specifically stating that Open
Access includes unrestricted use of manual and automated text and data
mining tools. Also, that it allows unrestricted re-use of content with
proper attribution ? as defined by the Creative Commons CC-BY licence.
The Research Councils acknowledge that some publications may need to amend
their copyright conditions if they are to meet this definition of Open
Access. ?

Alma Swan