Bravo to Mike Rossner for his position statement in favor of OA mandate
legislation. Everything he says is valid and true.

(But it would be just as valid if it were said on behalf of the (far more
realistic
and demonstrable) need for "researcher access" as if it is said on behalf of
the (rather more idealogical and less realistic) need for "public access" --
though the latter, I know, is much more  persuasive with MPs and voters,
and that's what counts...)

That niggle nigged, let me repeat that Mike will be remembered and thanked
historically for having said -- forthrightly, and with no self-serving
obfuscation --
what all publishers should have been saying about OA all along.

Mike represents what is still honorable in the tradition of scholarly
publishing.

Stevan

Begin forwarded message: