Stevan

You may think that pressure for biomedical mandates is a special case, but I
do not, as I thought I had made clear. Not only are there much bigger public
interest groups in other areas, but biomedical research is often much more
tentative and confusing than hard science. Sometimes it is plain wrong, or
damaging (remember thalidomide? homeopathy?).

Really, just repeating the mantra that OA is for researchers first and alone
provides a rationale for OA does not change anything. I am happy to agree
that all research outputs (even those that are wrong or falsified) are of
interest to the researchers in that field. However, I am glad that you are
now recognizing that OA for exploiters (or 'appliers' to use your word) is
also relevant and not covered by the researcher mantra. This is a step
forward.

I am happy to concede that there are some fields in which applicability
cannot be discerned at the time of writing (or never) such as the search for
exoplanets, cosmology, or the Higgs boson. The only exploiters I can think
of for these are the popular science journalists, the journal publishers,
and science fiction writers and film-makers. [Though on reflection, the
techniques may be applicable as second-order benefits.]

The reason that I suggest that your points 8 and 9 need rewording is that
they are both plain wrong. Let me analyse them:

> "8. But most peer-reviewed research reports themselves are neither
> understandable nor of direct interest to the general public as reading
matter."

This statement is so offensive that it must be replaced. I assert that most
if not all peer-reviewed research reports are understandable in some sense
to at least some members of the general public. We cannot prove otherwise.
Where do we find the research to back up either statement? It may be that
you are implicitly making the insertion 'to all the general public', but you
cannot sustain this as a statement worth making nor a similar insertion in
the researcher equivalent. The other charitable interpretation is that if
you can understand the paper in some sense, you are a 'researcher'; if not
then you are a 'member of the general public'. I cannot accept that either.

I remember some interesting research about a decade ago that the average
paper is skimmed for interest by perhaps 100 researchers, read carefully and
understood by about 10, and acted on by about two (for which citations are a
lower bound). In other words, not all researchers can be bothered to
understand all papers (or may not be competent to), even in the same narrow
field.

> "9. Hence, for most research, "public access to publicly funded research,"

> is not reason enough for providing OA, nor for mandating that OA be
provided."

If clause 8 fails, the 'hence' fails. One could instead argue that it is
difficult to determine which research outputs are of direct interest to the
general public, but if most of them are it is a waste of resources to try to
predetermine this, and hence OA should be mandated to provide public access
to publicly funded research, of which researchers and exploiters are a
special case.

There is also the transparency argument: expenditure of public funds entails
a responsibility to acquit those funds by showing they are spent wisely, and
hence OA should be mandated to provide public access and acquittal of
publicly funded research. Peer-reviewing does not alone provide sufficient
transparency - for example, it may not expose plagiarism or fraud.

Best wishes

Arthur Sale