At 08:35 17/01/01 -0500, Albert Henderson wrote:
Clearly, sponsored research is aimed primarily at keeping
our most profitable universities well in the black. Agency
and university managers have no interest in productivity.
The real scandal is the relationship of science agencies to
research universities, as I describe at length in
"Undermining Peer Review" in the current issue of SOCIETY
38(2):47-54 2001.

You may have a good point. I can't tell whether I agree or disagree until I
see the detail of your argument in this paper, but I can't access it now
(no url), which seems to be more germane to this thread.

If you are right then I believe that free universal access to
author-archived versions of their papers as a basis for evaluated
publication will significantly improve the quality of research.

Steve Hitchcock
Open Citation (OpCit) Project <http://opcit.eprints.org/>
IAM Research Group, Department of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ,  UK
Email: sh...@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel:  +44 (0)23 8059 3256     Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865