At 15:57 26/07/2002 +0100, Tim Chown wrote:
...what's the best way to get the institutions engaged?

You may be interested in the TARDIS project we are just starting up at Southampton. Funded by JISC in the UK, its objective is to examine ways of achieving cultural and institutional change in order to get academics self-archiving.

Using a multidisciplinary institutional archive for Southampton University as the focus, we are looking at various carrot-and-stick ideas to get archives in general filled. Fronted by librarians calling on our technical resources, we are looking at various forms of assisted self-archiving as well as technical and administrative 'inducements'. Six departments across the institution are being targetted; at one end of the spectrum we are undertaking advocacy campaigns, at the other end we intend to simply sit down with hundreds of individuals, help them fill out the eprints forms and answer their questions.

Although our website isn't ready yet you can see the project details at http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~lac/TARDIS/

Les Carr l...@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Department of Electronics and phone: +44 23-80 594-479
            Computer Science fax: +44 23-80 592-865
University of Southampton http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~lac/