I did not expect Stevan to agree with me, and so I welcome his corrections. I
post only to acknowledge three possible errors in my posting.

First,
I failed to spot that the limitation to NIH was not as good as a broader
subject approach. Alas, Stevan is right--it is significaent.

Second,
If Steven is correct (and I hope he is) that despite the ambuiguity of the
language, "authors' final manuscripts (as accepted for journal publication),"
this text will be interpreted favorably, then that corresponding part of my
posting will not stand,

Third, when I noted
"the requirement is still only for the author-corrected text, which remains
less-desirable than author-produced pdf copies from the publishers' print and
even less desirable than posting the pdf from the publisher."
I should have made clear that the importance of these differences in
desirability was unknown There are many opinions (including mine and his), but
no data. Again, I hope that he is correct.

Stevan further asks if I "would rather refuse this step by NIH, and keep
waiting." No, I would continue to urge publication in the most suitable journal
with the best OA, and continue working for improvements (which I do by talking
to publishers). I would not, upon seeing an inferior version, consider the
problem solved.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgood...@liu.edu

Executive Committee, COUNTER
(formerly: Princeton University Library)