It's true, this development does not diminish the importance of the
repository, and particularly the IR, in terms of deposit and
management interfaces and repository services.

Instead its primary import is that *potentially* it: (1) frees up the
storage layer, (2) offers a route to more flexible and economic
computing infrastructure (large-scale, 'cloud' computing), (3) opens
up new services, e.g. preservation services, and (4) reduces
repository software lock-in.

So potentially a step change in interoperability for repositories.

Steve Hitchcock
Preserv Project Manager
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh...@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 7698    Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865
http://preserv.eprints.org/