2008/9/15, Stevan Harnad <[email protected]>:
> Klaus Graf wrote:

> > On September 7 I received 6 confirmation mails from the Zurich
> > repository ZORA which has a similar button for a part of the non-OA
>  > items. On September 8 I received one PDF - seven days later I can say
> > that 5 of 6 authors didn't fulfill the request. If you cannot bring
> > harder facts this seems me enough empirical proof that the button
>  > doesn't work.
>
> I cannot speak for Zurich, which seems to be a particular focus for Klaus
> Graf's scrutiny for some reason.

Zurich is the only university in a German speaking country with a OA
"mandate". I have checked the ZORA contents several times to find out
the efficiency of that mandate and found several mail buttons I tried.
Feel free to give me links to U Minho eprints with button (I didn't
find some after a quick browsing there).

He neglects to mention that he also clicked
> the Button for one of my own papers in UQAM's Archipel, and was
> automatically
>  emailed a copy within a few moments:
> http://www.archipel.uqam.ca/920/

I have clicked on this button AFTER I wrote my message to this forum
thus I could'nt mention it. And you can believe it or not:

I DID  RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION FROM THE RESPOSITORY BUT NO EPRINT UNTIL NOW.

(I have also checked my spam mail ...)

I believe Professor Harnad has allowed emailing it, but may be there
is a delay from UQAM (some years?) or simply the button doesn't work
(maybe nobody knows him).

As I have shown in German at

http://archiv.twoday.net/stories/5193609/

the "immediate deposit/optional open access" strategy (Suber) isn't
possible in Germany. It is not allowed by German Copyright law to
deposit the papers and to put a request button in the repository. Only
if the publisher (having exclusive rights) accepts an author
contractual addendum containing such a permission it is possible. (If
the publisher doesn't have exclusive rights the button is needless
because immediate OA is possible.)

Klaus Graf

Reply via email to