The Santa Fe meeting may not have been the birth of Open Access, but it fired
the starting gun for interoperable institutional repositories based on what
later became the OAI protocol (OAI-PMH). I wasn't at that meeting, but if I
recall one of the motivations was to find ways of spreading the open access
provided by (what is now) arXiv to disciplines beyond its core sciences. arXiv
was a little under 10 at the time.

If we were anxious to speed progress then, such that after 10 years of arXiv a
new repository architecture (based on RePEc) was proposed for everyone else,
how do we feel about progress after 12 years of IRs (although to be fair, the
real acceleration in growth of IRs did not begin until some 5 years later). Do
we need another Santa Fe moment?

Steve Hitchcock
WAIS Group, Building 32
School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh...@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Twitter: http://twitter.com/stevehit
Connotea: http://www.connotea.org/user/stevehit
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 9379    Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 9379