Stevan Harnad responded to most of Eric van der Velde's doubts
(http://bit.ly/v3OAqq) straightforwardly – and fairly, I think. To Eric's
question whether OA publishing amounts to vanity publishing, he responds with a
few references to his own papers, that perhaps don't quite answer the question,
so let me say a few words about that.

It could be argued that much of academic publishing is "vanity publishing".
That is because it's purpose is not only to convey research results to the rest
of the academic community, but also – and one can be forgiven for thinking
that that's often the primary purpose – to support the author's reputation
and academic prowess in what I call the academic 'ego-system'. It's "publish or
perish" after all, and not "read or rot". So 'vanity publishing' of sorts
(arguably peer-review even adds to the vanity, certainly to the effect on
exhibit-able prowess) is a necessity in the academic 'ego-system' to survive
and thrive.

It's quite probable that Eric didn't have this kind of 'vanity' in mind, but
just the sort of unfiltered, unchecked publishing more akin to blog posts and
the like. Well, OA publishing doesn't provide that any more than traditional
publishing. Of course, there may be a few OA journals that are rather cavalier
with the peer-review process, but such journals also exist in the traditional
subscription-based publishing world. The temptation to accept articles that
might not quite pass muster is also present in traditional subscription
journals, because they do not only fail when they don't have enough
subscriptions; they also fail when they have not enough papers. Indeed,
traditional publishers rely effectively on the publication of ever more papers
to be able to increase their revenues. Just as OA publishers do.

OA journals are not more likely than traditional subscription journals to lower
their standards. What they may do more (I'm thinking of e.g. PLoS One) is to
remove as much as possible subjective selection criteria (often confused with
'quality') and selection criteria based on the amount of space a journal has
(due, for instance, to having a print edition). Such space limitations may
result (and frequently do, is my impression) in rejection of perfectly
publishable and even subjectively high quality articles, just because it so
happens that just before an article on a similar topic has been accepted, or an
article by researchers from the same institution, or an article considered to
have higher citation-potential (an example of what is often confused with
quality), or some such argument. This kind of selection is often seen as
resulting in higher quality, but is in reality quite arbitrary, even spurious.

Jan Velterop